Re: RFC: What should be done about kernel-image's bootloader questions

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 01:44:45PM -0500, Andrew D Dixon wrote:

> I'd like to be able to simply boot off of the hard disk from with only
> an ext2 partition on the disk and nothing else.  I must admit that I'm
> new to the PPC architecture so if this is already possible please let me
> know.

Er, it's currently impossible, mostly.  On OpenFirmware machines (CHRP,
PowerMac) one needs a filesystem OF can read from, such as HFS or FAT.  On
APUS, there's a similar type problem.  On a PReP system, you can sort of get
away with this as the kernel has to ride on a magic partition which the kernel
gets dd'ed to.  The embedded world can boot from flash or whatever the board
allows.  Custom 6x/7xx/74xx boards can do whatever you make the HW understand.

--
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/