Re: german keyboard (was:Specific literature/HOWTOs? .. and a comment)

Hello!

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 01:21:03PM +0200, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 29 May 2001, Georg Koss wrote:
>
> > > time. Unfortunately no option for German key settings was offered during
> > > install.
> > kbdconfig on konsole
>
> I tried to install mac-de-latin1-nodeadkeys with kbdconfig and ran into

For me mac-de2-ext works - as I read mac-de-latin1-nodeadkeys is broken on
ppc.

> I played a little bit around with other keymaps,

I think it's better to experiment in X (with xev) - if something happens you
 have the console at least.

> keymap and tested it, just to find out whether a change of key settings
> happens. And it seemed to work, because typing "y" resulted now in a "w"
> on the screen. I didn´t load it as keymap, but despite of this something
> changed and I am stuck now: My "a" is gone! I cannot get back into my
> root account, because this letter is part of my password! (I guess, to
> load the keymap anew it doesn´t suffice to just logout, because the
> keymap is loaded during bootup ...).

Probably you can boot from CD and use /target/../kbdconfig - I don't know
if it works - as I am relativeley new to linux I installed new in your
situation a few months ago.

--
mfg

Georg Koss