Re: postgresql?

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 06:25:50PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > Which, of course, raises the question: why isn't there a powerpc buildd
> > > outside the US? Related question: why is Dan the only one running a
> > > powerpc buildd? Is tervola still down? Any other powerpc machines on
> > > permanent net connection that could be used for this?
> >
> > It's administration of multiple daemons for one architecture that is
> > the real issue.  I'm still trying to come up with a good solution for
> > this - it's about half written, I think...
>
> We're currently running six machines for m68k. One has the database
> locally, the others use ssh for wanna-build. I fail to see the problem
> here (other than getting enough people to process the logs, of course).

Sorry, the paragraph I wrote above says the exact opposite.  That's not
what I meant at all.  PowerPC is not short CPU cycles; voltaire's daily
build rarely takes more than a few hours.  It's log processing, and my
little brain, that are bottlenecks.

> > > you could send me a list of non-US packages needing built I can try to set
> > > something up (after working out perl and autoconf related kinks in the
> > > m68k buildds, and finding a disk to build on). I'd use wanna-build on
> > > voltaire myself if I could ;-)
> >
> > You can't :P  For the same reason voltaire can not build them itself, I
> > think.
>
> Huh? All I said is I can't use wanna-build on voltaire (permission
> problems). Not that I want to use voltaire to build non-US packages (that
> would be a creative interpretation of export regulations :-). I don't
> think the fact that the database resides on a US machine conflicts with US
> law, right?

I'm not sure.  I suppose you're right.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team