Re: fdutils on PowerPC

Sorry but I did not subscribed to the list so I got the mail
from web page.  Reply might be not in correct format...

> > As I remembered, it was freezed at MAKEFLOPPIES or something.
>
> thats where it creates various floppy device nodes in /dev it probably
> does some sort of probe to figure out what floppy hardware you have.
> it very well could be pissing something off.

Hmmm, I see.

> > I wondered that this is because
> >
> > - fdutils is not usable on PowerPC at all, or
>
> its supposed to be useful in theory, in practice it appears to be
> hopelessly broken, unfortunatly.. (at least aph mentioned miserable
> failure of fdformat on irc).
>
> > - my kernel 2.4.4 lacked some necessary feature? (messages
> >   said something about kernel...), or
>
> well 2.4 is not known for stability, you should try this under 2.2 and
> see what happens there too.

I tried after rebooting with kernel 2.2.19 then it worked
fine!

I never imagined that kernel 2.4 was wrong in some point
compared with 2.2 series.

Thanks for your advice.

Best Regards,			2001.6.4

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>