Re: potato r3

Ethan Benson wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 01:47:06AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:
> >
> > > did you run the `Install Operating System kernel and modules' step
> > > in dbootstrap?  (before the base install) thats when the kernel is
> > > installed.  i just did a potato r3 installation a week ago and did
> > > not have a problem with lack of kernel.
> >
> > Yeah, I'm almost positive I did (could I have really avoided it?).
>
> yes, there is nothing in dbootstrap preventing you from skipping that
> step, ive done it before, all it breaks is Make System Bootable, and
> well booting ;-)
>
> > But, I just had to do another reinstall, and /boot did have the kernel
> > in it.  However, I still wasn't able to boot directly, despite the
> > fact that /boot/vmlinux-2.2.19 existed.  I think this might be because
> > I made /boot a separate partition (I plan to move to XFS soon), and

first, a normal install doesn't install a kernel image package, it
just installs the kernel and modules.  it copies them from the boot
floppies or equivalent files from the CDROM.

second, I wonder what would happen if you unmounted your /boot.  I'm
guessing if you then did an 'ls /boot' you would find some [missing]
files.