rtl8139 driver for idepci woody and powerpc potato

Package: kernel-image-2.2.19
Version: 2.2.19-6

I was looking for info on the rtl8139 net driver module. I searched the list
archives and ran across this:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot-0105/msg00687.html

(quoting aph)

Matt Kraai <kraai@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 03:11:07PM -0400, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> >   1) I used the 'idepci' flavour, hoping it would have a good set of
> >      network drivers in its kernel so I wouldn't have to install from
> >      floppies.  Unfortunately it lacks a driver for the rtl8139.
> >      These cards are so incredibly common nowadays that it might be a
> >      good idea to include this one.
>
> I guess you'd need to ask the idepci kernel-image maintainer about
> this.  No idea who that is, though.

File a bug against kernel-image-2.2.19-idepci.

The maintainer is Herbert Xu.

(/quoting)

I then checked the bugs list and didn't find any bug filed, so I thought I
would go ahead and do it.

BTW, I just installed the stable idepci flavor yesterday on an old PC at
workand it was in there, so maybe it's missing from woody because of the
8139too troubles I also read about in the list archives. Referring to

http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

it looks like the 8139too driver is totally bogus and potentially dangerous.

Anyway, I wanted to pass on the info but now I get to my real interest.

I have a MacAlly card in my OldWorld PowerPC that uses the rtl8139 driver
also. It is not included in the list of drivers for the powerpc install,
even in stable. I think it would be great to also include that driver in the
powerpc drivers.tgz.

Which leads me to what may be a related problem. I downloaded the rtl8139.c,
pci-scan.c, kern_compat.h, and pci-scan.h files from the Scyld website I
mentioned above, to try to compile it myself.

I tried both

gcc -DMODULE -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c rtl8139.c

(from the compile statement at the bottom of the source) and

gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O6 -c rtl8139.c

(from the web page) but they both failed with the same error:

File Missing: linux/modversions.h

I looked for the file myself, and sure enough it wasn't on my system. What
am I missing?

--

Chris Tillman
tillman@azstarnet.com