Re: fans in Powerbooks (was: Re: iBook2 install)

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 07:47:58AM +0200, Michel Lanners wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On  31 May, this message from Tom Rini echoed through cyberspace:
> [snip about iBook2]
> > The fan doesn't kick on ever tho, yet :(
>
> Does anybody have any definite information about how the fan is
> operated? Simple electronic circuit and temperature-controlled? Or does
> software need to switch it on explicitly?
>
> I've never been aware of the fan in my TiBook running either, and there
> were numerus reports of the same behaviour on previous *Books. Granted,
> I almost never run MacOS, so I wouldn't know if it had kicked in under
> that other OS....

I've recently heard the fan kick in for the first time ever on my Lombard
after I had left it in broad sunlight for about 1/2-1 hr.
It's actually rather loud ;-).
To be honest, I'm not sure if it was running MacOS X or Linux at that time,
but I'd just remark that it is probably not unusual at all for the fan to
never start up on a PB (though it should do so somewhat more often on
Pismos and especially TiBooks, from what I've heard, but those may all
have been reports from Arizona or California :o).
I'm also rather sure I have read on this list that it's not sw-operated,
but I can't give any technical documentation on that.

HTH,
						Derek

Derek Homeier
Department of Physics & Astronomy