Re: Booting to floppy

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:08:42PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 10:53:35AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
> >
> > > I have installed (on i386) potato (r0 i think) from CD, and this is exactly
> > > how it works. it gets the linux file and the modules.tar.gz to get the
> > > modules.
> >
> > No, that's wishful thinking.  See choose_medium.c:
> >
> >   char kernel_image_path[PATH_MAX+1] = "images-1.44/rescue.bin";
> >
> > It really is not going to be all that hard to fix this for Woody --
> > the logic is simple.  If we're installing the kernel from floppies,
> > use the rescue disk; otherwise, use the vmlinuz file (or whatever)
> > appropriate for your subarch or flavor.
>
> Yes, that would be really nice, ...

Why?  What makes it so good to have the kernel installed differently from
floppies and from network?  The only thing I can see would be custom kernels
after install.  But then you'd have to change the way it gets the modules too.

What am I missing?

BTW, meant to send it to list before but hit r instead of L...

Mike