Re: X probs after upgrade

>I don't know if you can do this (ie whether you have a spare machine
>to do a remote login from) but if you can login from a remote
>machine with a dumb terminal program (eg telnet), then setting your
>DISPLAY variable to your current X display should allow you to try
>things like `gdm &', `xterm &' and any other programs you usually
>run.  That should give you a good idea of what is failing, and
>possibly even how.

Well, by using startx to bring up the xserver and then switching back to
the console I can manually bring up gnome-terminal and even start sawfish
as my window manager.  I just think whatever startup stuff that is supposed
to run is bombing.  Attempting to log in via gdm, selecting any session or
the default session, just causes gdm to respawn the xserver and put up the
login dialog again, which is different from the behavior I saw yesterday,
but I don't know that I changed anything...

-raf

Eric: I want to live in a world where software doesn't suck //////////
Richard: Any software that isn't free sucks ////////// rafial@well.com
Linus: I'm interested in free beer ///// <http://www.3roses.com/> ////