Building new kernel for install

I think I need to build a new kernel to use for the install on my SuperMac C500 (current one doesn't detect my SCSI card or network card -- I can use the built-in mesh to get around the scsi issue, but i've got to do an FTP install)

Is it just a matter of building a new kernel and dropping it in the system folder for BootX to see or do I need to do something special? I'll be building this on a 7200 I already have running.

Going by the bootdisk how-to I'm assuming I don't need to do much, just compile a standard kernel with everything in the kernel no modules.
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

Which kernel should I compile? Is the standard 2.2.18 kernel good enough or should I go with one of the pre-2.2.19 kernels, or from somewhere else altogether?

Thanks,
Kevin