Re: Printer conundrum

Paul Talacko wrote:

> I have a PowerMac 6500.  I also have a Texas Instruments printer (it's

> The only thing I can think of is to get an ethernet to localtalk bridge (too
> expensive!!), the other thing is that you can buy a serial kit for the printer
> (also too expensive).

Well, about the only thing I can see is to use a little print server box
which would go from ethernet to the parallel port.  You could use a
commercial print server box like a JetDirect, or you could use any old
386 or better PC, run some floppy-only distro to make your own (bulky)
printer server box.  The PC wouldn't need a hard drive or much memory,
just a network card, a parallel port, and a floppy drive.  Run it with
no monitor or keyboard (at least after everything is installed).  All
you would need is a junk PC, but it would take a little time to set up.
I'd just get a JetDirect or similar box (here they are under $100) if I
were in a hurry.

Perhaps a PCI parallel port card would work too, but that would run you
almost as much as the print server.

wes schreiner