Re: X11 or Diseable onboard Cirrus chip in Motorola Powerstack

Frank Weis wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 January 2001 19:43, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > Frank Weis wrote:

> > > Well, I can't get it to work with X, and I would like to put in another
> > > graphics adapter. I have tried it, but I didn't get any signal on the
> > > additional adapter, so I fugure I have to disable the one on-board...
> >
> > What is the other adapter? Does it have a BIOS or an OF ROM? What exactly
> > have you tried?
> I have tried to put an old Elsa ISA adapter in (Elsa Gemini 10-138), but
> when I attach a screen to it, it stays black, and the onboard adapter works!
> I tried this because someone suggested that the onboard adapter would
> disable automatically when another one is present. I still have an Elsa
> Winner PCI board at home, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I suggest you do, it's more likely to work. I don't know about the PowerStack,
but at least on Macs legacy stuff doesn't work.

> I don't know if they have an OF ROM (what is an OF ROM),

It's similar to a BIOS. Open Firmware uses it to initialize a card. Anyway,
I'd be surprised if an ISA card had an OF ROM...

Neither does the PCI card probably, so you might have to use the right
framebuffer device to use it. What graphics chip is on it?

> but I know that they are fine when they are _alone_ in a PC.

The PC will use the BIOS on the card to initialize it.

Michel