Re: X11 or Diseable onboard Cirrus chip in Motorola Powerstack

On Wednesday 24 January 2001 19:43, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Frank Weis wrote:
> > >
> > > Why would you have to disable it for running X?
> >
> > Well, I can't get it to work with X, and I would like to put in another
> > graphics adapter. I have tried it, but I didn't get any signal on the
> > additional adapter, so I fugure I have to disable the one on-board...
>
> What is the other adapter? Does it have a BIOS or an OF ROM? What exactly
> have you tried?
I have tried to put an old Elsa ISA adapter in (Elsa Gemini 10-138), but when
I attach a screen to it, it stays black, and the onboard adapter works! I
tried this because someone suggested that the onboard adapter would disable
automatically when another one is present. I still have an Elsa Winner PCI
board at home, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I don't know if they have an OF ROM (what is an OF ROM), but I know that they
are fine when they are _alone_ in a PC. The Elsa Winner has worked fine in a
Compaq Deskpro where I was able to disable the onboard display adapter n the
BIOS (of the motherboard).

Maybe I can use the onboard adapter when NCR-810 support is back in 2.4.x.
When I boot 2.4.0, the fb driver recognizes the on-board CLGD-5434 before it
panics because of the broken SCSI support...

Frank
--
Frank Weis
CISA