Re: X on G4 with ATI Rage 128 Pro and LCD Panel

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Michel [iso-8859-1] Dänzer wrote:

> Stefan Kluth wrote:
>
> > I have potato 2.2r2 with kernel 2.2.18pre21 on a 500MHz G4 with an ATI
> > Rage 128 Pro AGP 4x and it works fine on the console. I boot with
> > video=ofonly. X doesn't work though, and from following this list that
> > might be expected. X (as XF68FBDev) does get started by xdm, the screen
> > turns white 3 times and then X gives up. Is the ATI Rage 128 Pro just not
> > supported? If there is hope within potato and XF3 I will provide the logs
> > for debugging.
>
> It may work if you use "current" as mode and depth 8 in XF86Config. Otherwise,
> you'll have to use aty128fb instead of video=ofonly.
I'll try that tommorrow. Er, ahem, I vaguely remember that there is some
dark art involved in the syntax of the kernel argument, passing the depth
and other things, no?

> > Will I have to go to XF4?
>
> Maybe not, but you'll _want_ to ;)
>
> > I am not really willing to go all the way to unstable, so I reckon I have
> > either find XF4 .debs for potato (I tried to search, but no luck) or to get
> > the sources and compile. If so, is there a recipie somewhere which guides me
> > through getting and compiling the deb-sources?
>
> It should build out of the box with dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot, otherwise
> ask on the debian-x list.
But which package, X in debian has quite a few (ok I am bit dumb, I just
don't know X very well)

> Another option would be to upgrade to testing and either wait for X4 to get
> there or install it manually.
I considered that, but found that XF4 wasn't there ... I would like to get
our Mac going soon.

Thanks for your help! Stefan

---Stefan Kluth---------------Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter-----------
-  MPI fuer Physik         -  phone:  +49 89 32354 468  -      OPAL&  -
-  Foehringer Ring 6       -  fax:    +49 89 32354 305  -      ATLAS  -
---D-80805 Munich, Germany----e-mail: skluth@mppmu.mpg.de--------------