Re: pmud on iBook questions

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 08:16:45PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> What do you mean by 'sleep works just perfect'? I have a hard time
> believing that ... what kernel version are you running? What is the exact
> model of iBook you're using?

I mean, if I call 'snooze -f' the iBook goes to sleep immediately,
just like under MacOS

	* display is turned off
	* hd spins down
	* network goes down
	* power led blinks slowly

The same happens if I comment out the contents of the 'sleep' case
for Core99.

This is on a regular Indigo iBook 366 Firewire

Kernel is 2.2.18 from ftp.kernel.org

I'm very interested in helping with power mangagement - if you need
something please ask.

> > Can I specify inactivity timeouts for it somewhere?
>
> Define 'inactivity'. A Linux system is never inactive.

Good point :)

> This is done on purpose, and I strongly advise against bypassing this
> feature. Heat dissipation by convection _through_ the keyboard is an
> integral part of PowerMac laptops. Running the iBook with the lid closed
> puts you at hazard of damaging the LCD and/or other parts of the machine.
>
> But then, all we ever hear from Apple is hearsay so who knows? Try at your
> own risk please.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that... and no, I won't hold my neck out.

> Sleep doesn't turn off the network card (except for maybe PCMCIA; what's
> the ethernet hardware in iBooks?). At least it shouldn't. But then,
> I'm surprised sleep should work on any iBook or Pismo at all.

Whenever it sleeps I can't ping or otherwise access it. When it wakes
up the kernel prints the 'link state change ... link up...' lines.

Thanks lots for all the info!