Re: rhetorical question regarding X...

Phil Fraering wrote:

> After reading the recent news regarding X11 on the new
> Firewire Powerbooks, and that someone has gotten the
> current X working on then (albeit using UseFBDev),

Why 'albeit'? UseFBDev is a feature. In fact, we plan to replace it with a
non-driver-specific solution which will have basically the same effect as
making it on by default.

> I feel I have to ask which I should be doing: using the
> old version of xfree I have now, or updating to the new
> one.

It's your decision, but now you know that UseFBDev doesn't matter. :)

> When the new one wasn't working with my system and the old
> config file, I downgraded to the old one, and due to some
> rearrangement of things in X, I had to use --force-overwrite.

That's probably because packages are only supposed to be upgraded ;)

> What's the best thing to do? Just stay with what I have, or get
> back to the standard Unstable system?

What about testing? Granted, there are problems getting X4 in, but I think
it's a good compromise if you want to avoid the pitfalls of unstable.

Michel