Re: Help: Can't get XFree86 v4.0.2 to start

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > After upgrading to XFree86 v4.0.2, X will not start.  The screen
> > flashes 3 or 4 times then settles at the prompt.
> >
> > Pertinent hardware info is as follows:
> >
> >     PowerComputing PowerBase 180 w/Sonnet G3/L2 upgrade
> >     ATI Mach64 Video card (2MB RAM)
> >     Panasonic PanaSync Pro P17 monitor

> [...]

> > (--) PCI: (0:17:0) ATI Mach64 GT rev 65, Mem @ 0x81000000/24,
> > 0xfffff000/12, I/O @ 0x0400/8
      ^^^^^
      ?!?!?

> [...]

> > (WW) ATI:  PCI/AGP Mach64 in slot 0:17:0 could not be detected!
> > (EE) No devices detected.

Not surprising, given the above.

> It seems not to recognize your chip. I'm forwarding this to the ati driver
> maintainer.

I'd like to see the FULL log, and know whether or not the driver was
compiled with AVOID_CPIO on this platform (see the driver's Imakefile).
Oh, and the output from an `lspci -vv` after a reboot (but before an X
server) would be helpfull also.

Thanks.

Marc.

|  Marc Aurele La France           |  work:   1-780-492-9310           |
|  Computing and Network Services  |  fax:    1-780-492-1729           |
|  352 General Services Building   |  email:  tsi@ualberta.ca          |
|  Edmonton, Alberta               |                                   |
|  T6G 2H1                         |     Standard disclaimers apply    |
|  CANADA                          |                                   |
XFree86 Core Team member.  ATI driver and X server internals.