Re: X starts, but it displays strange things

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > When I use fbdev instead of ati, it works. But I have no video
> > > acceleration...
> >
> > You have a r128 in your computer, so use the r128 driver, not the ati
> > one...
>
> Someone said that in 4.0.2, the ati driver loads the r128 driver if
> required so people should only use ati. For eariler versions r128 may
> indeed be worth a try.

Right. Moreover, some people have problems if they put "r128" for the Driver
with 4.0.2 .

> Regardless, discussion of X server issues is moot without having the
> server log to look at.

Damn right. And the XF86Config wouldn't hurt either.

Even without that though, my guess is that either the server doesn't use
800x600 at all (because the horizontal or vertical frequency range in the
Monitor Section doesn't allow for it) or a different one from console which is
incompatible. The fbdev driver probably uses the default one.

Michel (who actually doesn't like to speculate ;)