Re: Enlightenment

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Chris Bryan wrote:

> Alright, this is confusing... it seems I have Enlightenment installed, but I
> can't invoke it w/ the command enlightenment. What am I doing wrong?

You can invoke a window manager from the command line if you have X running
already, but most people just put the command in the .xinitrc file so that it
gets started by startx or by xdm.

> Also, is anyone using Enlightenment by itself? (i.e. w/o Gnome) I'm
> wondering if it is satisfactory to use alone.

I use enlightenment by itself, and I am quite satisfied with it. The only
problem I could see for others is that it does not yet provide a file
manager, so you either need to run another file manager, or just use terminal
windows (I prefer terminal windows, and Eterm in particular). The next
release of E will have a file manager included, so this won't be an issue for
too much longer.

|   Nathan Ingersoll             |   Computer Science/Mathematics         |
|   mailto: ningerso@d.umn.edu   |   University of Minnesota-Duluth       |
|   http://umn.edu/~ningerso     |   http://www.d.umn.edu                 |