Re: XF86 Problem Solved & Desktop Question

Nick Henderson wrote:

Ok, I got X to work.  I reinstalled the
xserver-xfree86 package and selected 1024x768@70,
rather then 60.

So X is now working and I would like to install KDE or
gnome.  Using apt-get for task-kde or
task-gnome-desktop does not work.  It says that some
of the packages cannot be installed.  Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Nick Henderson

Can you use any window managers like fvwm? Do you have enough disk space? Did you just install the X server or did you use task-x-window-system (complete)? Maybe task-kde and task-gnome-desktop depend on XFree86 3.3.6 being installed? You may get some more verbose messages regarding dependencies using dselect.

-- Taro

--- Nick Henderson <the_real_insanik@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hello,

Over the weekend I have been installing unstable on
my
Wallstreet.  Everything works up until I want to
start
up X 4.0.2.  When I "startx" or when xdm starts, the
computer crashes and I have to do a hard reboot. The
screen turns black, but I think that the backlight
stays on.

The XF86Config file that I am now is from this
website:
http://www.dcs.qmw.ac.uk/~sb/PowerBook/index.html

It is a config file for a Pismo, and I thought it
would work on my Wallstreet, because the machines
are
similar.

Does anybody out there have a config file that I can
use, or some advice on what I can do with my file?

Thanks,
Nick Henderson