Re: mac-on-linux: any success yet?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:22:11PM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:
 I was wondering if anyone was trying to compile or put together a
 package for mac-on-linux? The docs that came with the tarfile weren't
 too clear on what extra libraries I need to get it to compile.

i have compiled it and have it working in /usr/local, it took some
hacking of the Makefile (stupid redhat == linux development model) and
a patch to Rules.make to add -lelf otherwise it won't link.
i can make a patch of my changes (against 0.53) available if anyone
wants it.  i know Dan was planning to package it but has been too busy
and has not had a mac with a head on it to test with.

I am going to be needing MOL on my systems before too long. I tried compiling the source but ran into trouble. A deb binary or source package would be real nice!

BTW I tried to make that PowerComputing computer, a PowerWave 150, boot via Open Firmware using Quik. I followed your directions but every attempt to boot directly into Linux leads to a black screen and no disk activity (you can't see the Open Firmware command line on this computer). Here's what I did

Edit the /etc/quik.conf file so that has only one entry and it points to my root partition /dev/sda7 and kernel image /boot/vmlinux-2.2.18pre21 with a timeout of 20:
   timeout=20
   partition=7
   image=/boot/vmlinux-2.2.18pre21
   label=linux
   read-only

Run quik (with no arguments because defaults are ok).

Run ofpath to get Open Firmware path to the root partition,
% ofpath /dev/sda7 #=> /bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:7

Set the OF parameter RAM to boot from that partition
% nvsetenv boot-device '/bandit/gc/53c94/sd@0:7'

% Reboot

There is a double bong bootup sound and then nothingness.

I also tried setting the pram variables from MacOS using the Boot Variables application. It had the same (non) effect. I also tried setting the boot-device to 'scsi-int/sd@0:7' I tried disconnecting the adb keyboard. I tried speaking to the Holy Penquin. No help came.

We must be doing something wrong on these 7200 and clone machines, but what? Open Firmware can't be that broken that it can't boot because, after all, it does boot MacOS with absolute reliablity.

If it weren't for BootX we'd have an entire class of commonly used PowerMacs that couldn't boot Linux.
--
  Garry Roseman  <mailto:memphis@macconnect.com>