Re: Problem installing debian on G3 beige

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 09:58:08PM +0100, Manea Mirko wrote:
> Don't you know how to put a zImage kernel on a hfs formatted floppy
> (like boot-floppy-hfs.img) ?
>
> I know oldworld ppc can read only vmlinux.coff style kernel.. but the
> boot-floppy has a zImage kernel..
> I tried with a kernel from http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debian-ppc-bugs.html
> (ie http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/debs/vmlinux.coff-2.2.15), I do the
> following in OF:
>
> 0 > setenv boot-device fd:vmlinux.coff
> 0 > setenv boot-file root=/dev/sda3 (my root partition)
> 0 > boot
>
> It starts loading (loader: loading XCOFF ...) but then (after
> clearing .bss, done..) it says CLAIM failed, and returns to OF.
>
> If I use:
>
> 0 > setenv boot-device /pci@80000000/ADPT,2940U2B@D/disk@0,0
> 0 > setenv boot-file /boot/vmlinux-2.2.18pre21 root=/dev/sda3
>
> after typing boot the hd led blinks, but it says:
>
> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00300 at %SRR0: FF80B51C %SRR1: 0000B070
>
> and it hangs!
>
> If the vmlinux.coff approach is correct, I'd like very much to have
> a small kernel (with aha2940 and de4x5 ethernet card), but also I'd like
> to know how to make a zImage kernel like boot-floppy-hfs.img...
>

> Any ideas ??

I never had any luck with the floppy approach.  It could be that
I just never did try it with the right kernel.  I recall it took
quite a while to find one which worked.  Now I've been compiling
them, and have had better booting success.

I will have to differ to the more knowledgable types on the
list.  I'm sure somebody out there has gotten a boot floppy to
work.

Mark

--
-- mark at outlook dot net
-- Outlook Technologies is in *no way* affiliated with Microsoft