Re: XFree86 on potato

On Thu, Jan 04, 2001 at 08:29:55AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:

> Sure, but as has been acknowledged, the kernel with the new input layer
> should have had a dependency on a new makedev package including the new
> nodes, which has yet to be provided at all.  This is very serious breakage in

yes the next time i think about it im going to go ahead and file a bug
against makedev asking for these nodes.  if it hasn't been done
already.

> a stable distro, and should really have been tested, it is causing a lot of
> users a lot of pain.

indeed, though even if we had the new makedev X and gpm still would
have broke unless makedev mucked with the /dev/mouse symlink (assuming
most people use that)  this type of unavoidable breakage should be
reserved for an entire dist upgrade IMO.  (as there are some issues
like that to be expected then)

> As I said to Bastien a couple of weeks ago, expect many more posts of this
> type for the next month or two.  [To which he replied with some four-letter
> words and "If you can't read the documentation, don't use Linux," even though
> to get things working at all one has to go to some random webpage not linked
> from any system docs including kernel-doc, and read every minute detail- as
> opposed to skimming it, which every sane human does who values their time at
> all.  But that's not important.]

everythings a flamewar anymore...

--
Ethan Benson