Re: modem works!, battery drains fast?

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > My guess is you have all sorts of funny daemons running that peek at the
> > > disk every few seconds. With LinuxPPC I had to disable things like
> > > icecast, crossfire, and I think even sendmail, before disk activity
> > > would drop to a sane level.
> >
> > I don't have any of these; would exim be a usual suspect as well?
>
> Guess so - anything that reads or writes files (or directories) on a
> regular basis is a candidate. Set the queue run interval to 1h to take
> care of this.

Well, I only run exim via xinetd, so the queue is run by a cron job. It was
set to run every half an hour, I've changed it to one hour now. :)

> > > lsof +D /var should show some of the usual suspects.
> >
> > That yields syslogd, cron, gdm, XFree86, gnome-pty-helper and lpd. I
> > wouldn't suspect anyone but syslogd here, right?
>
> lpd doesn't check the spool dir by itself. gdm and XFree86 are a must I
> assume :-) Any cron jobs that run more often than every few minutes?

None AFAICS.

> > > And I don't get the disk to spin down all of the time...
> >
> > BTW what would be considered a sane timeout for standby? Does it harm the
> > disk if I set it to the minimum of 5 seconds and it gets powered down and
> > back up all the time?
>
> It may harm the disk, but it sure doesn't save any power. I'd try half a
> minute or a minute as a minimum.

Okay, so that's why you have one minute in pwrctl. :)

Thanks to you too for your suggestions!

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project