Re: modem works!, battery drains fast?

Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > Any suggestions how I can find out what accesses my disk every few seconds
> > and thus keeps me from powering it down?
>
> My guess is you have all sorts of funny daemons running that peek at the
> disk every few seconds. With LinuxPPC I had to disable things like
> icecast, crossfire, and I think even sendmail, before disk activity would
> drop to a sane level.

I don't have any of these; would exim be a usual suspect as well?

> lsof +D /var should show some of the usual suspects.

That yields syslogd, cron, gdm, XFree86, gnome-pty-helper and lpd. I wouldn't
suspect anyone but syslogd here, right?

> If you can convince syslogd to write to the log less often this might help,
> too.

How can I do that? I didn't see anything in the syslogd not syslog-ng
manpages.

> I didn't tweak any bdflush parameters (tried that before disabling the crazy
> services and it didn't help).

Would that be via /proc/sys/vm/bdflush? What do the numbers mean?

> And I don't get the disk to spin down all of the time...

BTW what would be considered a sane timeout for standby? Does it harm the disk
if I set it to the minimum of 5 seconds and it gets powered down and back up
all the time?

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and The DRI Project