Re: PCI Video Cards

I have an idea.

If you run the app xviddetect on a mac linux box it shows you the pci
devices it can see.

It can see any pci devices and they don't have to be made for mac, I know
this because I have 2 additional nics in my 8500, one generic Realtek 8029
and a Digital Decchip 21142. Neither of these works under mac os, they both
work fine under linux.

 As I understand it now (having just got accelerated X to work on a Blue &
White G3) its actually X not the kernel that needs to have a driver to
support a pci video card to get accelerated video in X.

So I'm thinking why not just throw any non-mac PCI video card that has
drivers in X into the box and try to get X to use it for accelerated video?

In theory i should be able to have 2 displays this way, one for accelerated
X and the original one. Having got familiar with XF86config it looks as
though you can specify any video card and monitor in there.

Can someone who knows tell me whether this might work and if so what PC PCI
video card i should get (ie. what works well on an i386 box)?

Rolf Schatzmann
Director of Operations
Eftel Radio Trading as Radiowan
Office: 08 9386 5555
Fax: 08 93868200
Mob: 0410 577 664

Radiowan - Biggest Pipes, lowest Prices.

Get a 128K Internet Connection with burst to 384K for a fraction of the cost
of ISDN.

Link multiple Metro or Regional sites with our VPN connections.