Re: debian-powerpc: mozilla/browsers with java support ???

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 01:14:01PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Does Mozilla have Java support ???

yes, however it requires a bit of effort to get in there and working, thoug
less effort than uit takes to get ssl working in mozilla I have found.

> I am using Mozilla as it is the only browser that I know of the works on
> the PowerPC machines.  I guess Communicator would be my preferred choice
> because it is much more stable that Mozilla, but Communicator is not
> available for PowerPC (at least not in .deb format).

netscape communicator 4.7 is available also. in rpm format, ofcourse the
alien tool will convert it to a deb happily, this is what I did.

wget tp://ftp.linuxppc.org/linuxppc-1999/software/notfree/netscape-4.7-1.ppc.rpm
apt-get install alien
alien --to-deb netscape-4.7-1.ppc.rpm
dpkg -i nameofgenerateddebppackage.deb

> I really need a web browser with Java support so that I can do things
> like Internet Banking, etc.  There are a lot more web sites that rely on
> broswers being Java enabled.  Are there any other browsers for PowerPC
> with Java support ?

hmm, I dont strike that fortunately, I find the thing that is harder to get
working in mozilla is the ssl anyway, and such sites really do need 128 bit ssl.

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh@wibble.net http://wibble.net/~sjh