Re: modem works!, battery drains fast?

> Michael Schmitz schrieb:
>
> > As to excessive power use with modem on: I don't think I see that here.
> > Judged from the battery monitor plugin the power consumption seems fairly
> > normal (Lombard, 400 MHz, X with services reduced to a minimum and HD
> > actually spinning down on occasion, gives me around 2h30' battery life).
>
> I get that or more with my Pismo even without taking special care, but still:
>
> Any suggestions how I can find out what accesses my disk every few seconds and
> thus keeps me from powering it down?

My guess is you have all sorts of funny daemons running that peek at the
disk every few seconds. With LinuxPPC I had to disable things like
icecast, crossfire, and I think even sendmail, before disk activity would
drop to a sane level.

Another candidate is the drive_applet in the gnome panel.

lsof +D /var should show some of the usual suspects. If you can convince
syslogd to write to the log less often this might help, too. I didn't
tweak any bdflush parameters (tried that before disabling the crazy
services and it didn't help). And I don't get the disk to spin down all of
the time...

Hope this helps a bit,

	Michael