Re: x11: not again...

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 11:35:27AM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:
> OK, some graphite iBooks may be the pre-iBook DV models; the DV models have
> a firewire port. It's the third revision of the iBook (the first had
> 32 megs of ram; the second had 64 megs, and I think some video changes,
> but I'm not sure, and added the graphite. The iBook DV was a further
> evolution, with 64 megs, I think (but am not sure) yet more video ram,
> and finally adding firewire (and changing the colors of the non-graphite
> model).

Yes, Michelle's iBook appears to be what you're talking about.  It has a
FireWire port and 64MB of RAM.

At some point perhaps I can begin to help with the testing of XFree86 on
this machine, but I'm trying very hard to keep my promise that this is HER
computer.  That means she shouldn't have to ask me to stop using it when
she wants to.  :)

> Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I tried out TigerT's suggestion of
> enabling the "UseFB" option. It still didn't work, but the failure
> mode was a lot interesting: there were a bunch of almost-horizontal
> diagonal stripes on the screen. (Unfortunately, the stripes weren't
> orange and black, or the synchronicity would be complete).
>
> Also, control-alt-delete caused xwindows to terminate. That didn't
> happen in earlier versions.
>
> So, at least the crashes are interesting, and I don't have to reboot,
> if I use the "UseFB" option. It's progress, IMHO.

That at least is good to hear.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Suffer before God and ye shall be
Debian GNU/Linux                |    redeemed.  God loves us, so He makes us