Re: x11: not again...

> --IMjqdzrDRly81ofr
>
> On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 12:00:19AM -0600, Phil Fraering wrote:
> > Well, I tried running X after downloading the new X binary,
> > and got the same result as always... suggestions welcome. Who
> > else besides me and Hadess has an iBook DV here?
>
> I got my fiance a graphite iBook (a.k.a an iBook DV, I think) as an early
> Christmas present, but I haven't tried to install Debian on it yet.

OK, some graphite iBooks may be the pre-iBook DV models; the DV models have
a firewire port. It's the third revision of the iBook (the first had
32 megs of ram; the second had 64 megs, and I think some video changes,
but I'm not sure, and added the graphite. The iBook DV was a further
evolution, with 64 megs, I think (but am not sure) yet more video ram,
and finally adding firewire (and changing the colors of the non-graphite
model).

Early models: 300 Mhz cpu, except for the graphite, which was 366.
Colors available: orange, light blue, and graphite.

DV: 366 Mhz cpu or 466 Mhz CPU; the 466 Mhz model has DVD as well.
Colors available: indigo (only for 366), lime (both speeds),
and graphite (466 only). I will avoid commenting on the lime
color.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I tried out TigerT's suggestion of
enabling the "UseFB" option. It still didn't work, but the failure
mode was a lot interesting: there were a bunch of almost-horizontal
diagonal stripes on the screen. (Unfortunately, the stripes weren't
orange and black, or the synchronicity would be complete).

Also, control-alt-delete caused xwindows to terminate. That didn't
happen in earlier versions.

So, at least the crashes are interesting, and I don't have to reboot,
if I use the "UseFB" option. It's progress, IMHO.

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net