Re: XFree86 4.0 on mach64/Lombard

steven alyari wrote:

> i have downloaded xfree4 from the rsync tree listed at
>
> http://linuxppc.org/documentation/xf4/
>
> and i use the "fbdev" driver for Section "Device"
>
> but when i startx all i get is a frozen black screen that is
> unescapable.. ctrl+alt+backspace, ctrl-c, switching consoles, none of
> these work, only rebooting escapes me

You need to specify the PCI bus ID of the graphics chip, like

    BusID "PCI:0:xx:0"

You can find it out with 'lspci | grep VGA', beware that this shows hex
numbers while X wants decimal.

> when i use the mach64 driver "ati", i'm told that mach64 is not found..
>
> even though mach64 is detected at boot, since i am using the latest yaboot
>
> i dunno, are lombards supported under xfree4.0

I guess they should be, please post the exact error output.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project