Re: compiled Kernel 2.4 for Powerbooks ???

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 01:16:59PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Quoting Michael Flaig <mflaig@pro-linux.de>:

> > for my Pismo.

> > still borked in XF4.0.1-9pre10 from yesterday)
> > another kernel. Actually 2.2.17 of Debian 2.2r0 is running ...
> > >
> > > why not compile one yourself?  its not that hard.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > i386 kernels aren't a problem to me. But powermac kernels are ...
> > i don't know much about the architecture of my pismo.
> > I'm new to the PPCs, so it's not that easy to me.
> >
> > OK i think, i will compile one myself ... if it doesn't work i can get
> > an precompiled one.
> >
> > Should I compile the official or are there better modificated kernels
> > (benh !?) ???
>
> If you don't know anything about the architecture or the hardware of your Pismo,
> stare about 30 minutes looking at the boot messages... It will work after.

I know about the hardware but not more than you know if you read the manual ...
i don´t know which drivers to compile to get the support for
IrDA, Firewire, PCMCIA, internal speakers, framebuffer ...
etc. I have to read much more documentation, that I can within this Weekend.

> But then, you said you want to get a devel kernel. and afaik Ben doesn't have a
> devel kernel, only a stable one. Check http://kernel.xorsis.com/
>
> Test and trial is the best way to know how to compile a kernel... The best devel

yes you are right ...

> kernel you could get is Paulus'. I tried during one evening to make Linus' work
> hacking and patching, and bothering people on IRC, and I gave up. Paulus' kernel
> that I got the day after just worked, without patching on top of it..

thanks,

mfl.

--
Michael Flaig ... PROLinux