Re: Removing UseFBDev

> > Ok, I removed "UseFBDev" and it didn't make a difference.
> > X still reports an error trying to read V_BIOS, and the
> > screen once again went blank and I was forced to reboot.
> >
> > Any more suggestions?
> >
> > -j
>
> It will report an error every time, that's normal, that's on my system:
> cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log | grep -i bios
> (EE) r128(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (4)
> (--) r128(0): BIOS at 0x90020000

Oh, ok, I just assumed this was a problem..

> Try removing (and saving them somewhere) the Modelines you have for the
> screen, XFree should be able to get the information by itself (deducing
> it from the frequencies).

I actually did this -- same result.

> BTW, what framebuffer are you using for the console ?

aty128fb.  Also, I thought it may have something to do with the fact
that I have 6 PCI slots (UMAX S900 -- similar to 9x00) and have the
card in slot 4 (bus 1 slot 1), so I am building a 2.2.18pre21 kernel
with the PCI patches to see if that works... however, I just tried
a 2.4.0test11 kernel, which I assume already has these patches,
and it didn't work either.

Unfortunately I cannot move the video card up, because my ethernet
card and USB card are not recognized in any slots other than the
first two.. then again, this could be why the video card isn't
working in X -- I just assumed because the console was working
that it would be ok, but perhaps console works just because it
gets the location from OF..

..any ideas?

-j