prebuilt kernel, ibook video mode... is this progress?

Well, after spelunking through the archives some more, I found out that
I had a minor problem in yaboot.conf; basicaly, instead of having a
line saying "video=aty128fb...", I needed one that said

append= "video=aty128fb:vmode:10:depth:16"

(Note space after the equals sign; is that really necessary?

Anyway, I'm using benh's 2.2.18pre17 kernel, as found on
hadess' web site.

I was wondering about the following questions:

* Is vmode 10 the only one I can use? Do I want to try one of
the others instead?

* While using vmode 10, I went to depth=32, and the screen went screwy.
Everything got compressed into the top quarter. Doing depth=16 didn't
make things right again. Rebooting into MacOS did, however. But is there
a safer vmode, that can handle more bit depths, or handle them more
safely? Should fbset come with a "may destroy your lcd" warning?

* Do I need to install the new input layer?

* After all that, _if_ the old phase 2 debs are around somewhere, would
xfree 4 conceivably work?

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net