Deb.2.2rev.0 Appletalk DDP support build-in ?

Hi,

After installing Netatalk on my ppc 7200, I ran into this problem :

    Messages at boot:

    "socket: Invalid argument
     socket: Invalid argument
     atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting."

    Connecting from Mac via AppleshareIP works,
    server doesn't show up in the chooser

After reading about 100 messages at Deja from people with the same problem,
I think my kernel lacks Appletalk DDP support.

But 2 things stop me from compiling a new kernel, the suggested solution.

1) My Debian 2.2.rev.0 says it is running kernel 2.2.17. (and latest netatalk and asun)
On http://www.kernel.org, there's only kernel 2.2.16.
So a new kernel would be a downgrade ???

2) Is there really no other option ?

(well: 3: I'm still a newbie. After 14 days of running my own debian already being forced :) to make a new kernel.. geez...)

Yours,

Werner.

[This was quite usefull to me , a posting in linux.redhat.misc by Rod Smith <rodsmith@speaker.rodsbooks.com>

"This is more of a problem. First, though, don't rush to judgment;
wait a minute or two after your Linux box has booted completely before you test Netatalk. If the problem occurs even after that point, here are some vital diagnostic steps:

 1) Type /sbin/ifconfig on the Linux box.
You should see a listing of information for each of your network interfaces.
The one to which your AppleTalk network is connected SHOULD include
a line like "EtherTalk   Phase 2 addr:41200/234".
If not, then Netatalk isn't starting at all.

2) Check /var/log/messages for any error messages from Netatalk.

3) Can you access your Linux box from a Mac by specifying the IP address?
That is, in the Chooser after you select AppleShare, there's a button
labeled "Server IP Address".
Click it and enter your Linux box's numeric IP address.
If this works, then the problem is limited to  atalkd.

4) Type "ps ax | grep atalkd" and "ps ax | grep afpd"
-- these should   both return processes (other than grep)
representing the running   daemons.

If not, something's happened to cause them to fail --
check   /var/log/messages to find out what. ]