Re: 2.4.0-test6 ppp trouble

David Brown wrote:

> I have found the stock 2.4.x kernel comes and goes as to whether or not it
> works with PPC.  I have had best results syncing up with the bitkeeper
> respository at fsmlabs (Paul's webpage has a reference to it).  It seems to
> have the pmac support in it now, and it usually works.

Okay, I'll look into this.

> I have found the 2.4.0 kernels sometimes don't even build for ppc, and
> sometimes panic on boot.

I've been able to get them to build with a bit of effort (like the little patch),
and to boot with no problem.

On a "philosophical" note, since they are so close to working, I'd prefer to use
stock kernels and bug report against those, with as little patching as possible, it
seems this will hasten the day when unpatched kernels will be usable across more
platforms.  (ARM is even real close to building- there are just a couple of
duplicated symbols in kernel/ and arch/arm/kernel/ ...)

But since PPP isn't working, we're not there yet, and I'll go with one of the
PPC-specific trees, maybe bitkeeper as you suggested.  It'll be about a week before
I can try again.

> My only stopper for 2.4 full time is Mol.

Haven't tried it. :-)

Thanks,

-Adam P.