http install broken (modules)?

I just did 2 Http installs 1 after the other.  The problem was that after it
had downloaded the drivers.bin and rescue.bin it proceeded to the loading of
modules..  well none of the modules would load (couldn't be found) and the
list seemed very limited.

I had made an install 2 months ago from http, same process... all worked
fine.   Using potato, system is a powermac 7300.   Kernel that i used was
one provided (2.2.17).

any ideas what happened?  I proceeded with the installation and then made my
own kernel with modules that i wanted.

justin