Re: Downloading Debian from European Sites

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 10:38:37AM +0100, Sergio Brandano wrote:
> >
> >  Hi,
> >
> >  some time ago I reported that www.uk.debian.org is not an UK
> >  site, as it is in fact a site in the east coast of the USA.
> >  Today I am reporting that the situation is as it was, and that
> >  other European sites are very slow. sunsite.org has a very good
> >  mirroring system in London UK but is not in sync with the main
> >  distribution. I am not aware of who is in charge of this, but
> >  if you do, please forward this mail to him/her. I propose the
> >  creation of one (1) Debian site in Europe, in replacement of all
> >  the others. The money spent in managing all the sites will be
> >  spent for managing this super-site, for improved performance.
>
> Err, ...
>
> www.fr.debian.org seems to be in france, anyway, it is much faster for
> me that www.debian.org.

Ehrm, as everyone else seem to post their favourite European mirrors:

ftp.se.debian.org

Is quite fast for me (I might be somewhat biased, as I'm part of the group
administering that machine and that the machine stands approx. 1 block
from my apartment) and is connected to the Swedish backbone-net.
If you have problem with the speed from it, well tough luck, it's your
connection, not the machine, I can assure you.

/David Weinehall
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander      \\
//  Project MCA Linux hacker        //  Dance across the winter sky //
\>  http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/    </   Full colour fire           </