Re: booting 8500 with blank disk (was Re: Unidentified subject!)

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 04:07:04AM -0500, J-ble wrote:

> > Ben maintains this on his page at http://ppclinux.apple.com
>
> that's great, but I don't have a mac so I can't get it in the .sit format
> it's available in there.
>
> any way i can get that on openbsd or nt?

hum yeah .sit is as proprietary as they come...

well another thing you could try is getting a COFF format kernel and
putting that on a hfs floppy (with hfsutils) or maybe dd it (don't
recall if that works or not) then OF boot that directly..  its been
known to work but it takes the right incarnation of the kernel and a
wee bit of black magic in OF.

> > hum i forget if there is an ftp option for the base system or not... i
> > know there is mounted filesystem and NFS ftp not sure.. anyone?
>
> eek... i hope there is ftp install.  or perhaps i can burn the cd...?
> jble

i think there is but i don't want to reboot to check ;-) otherwise
cdimage.debian.org will allow you to create a CD image provided you
have loads of disk space and a high speed connection.

--
Ethan Benson