Re: Installing Debian on Newworld G4's

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 10:26:01AM -0600, Justin Piper wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a FAQ, (didn't see an answer in the archives or the
> PPC port web page) but is there a way to install Debian w/o an existing
> Linux PPC installation?  I managed to get the linux kernel to boot, but
> Debian's install program stopped and reported that my system architecture
> was not supported.

you need newer boot floppies (ramdisk images more accurately)
unfortunately the test versions appear to be gone from a separate site.

to the boot floppies folks: can we PLEASE put some newer test floppies
out ?? the october floppies are not even of much use on oldworld macs
since they have no mac partitioner...

also when you do setup your G4, be sure to create a 800K partition as
the first one on the disk, set its type to Apple_Bootstrap (use C
instead of c in mac-fdisk and it will ask for the type)

this way you can install the yaboot bootloader there rather then use
bootx which is not as reliable on g4s.  if you have other questions on
yaboot I can help :)

--
Ethan Benson