Re: potato boot-floppies for powerpc uploaded

On 19/10/99 Joel Klecker wrote:

The problem is that most powermacs have horrid Open Firmware, and the input-device and output-device are set to ttya (so bootvars is the only way short of attaching a serial console to get to OF). None of this applies to post-iMac systems, which actually do have decent OF with sensible defaults (however, those will not boot Linux kernels because the images lack the .note section that the new OF requires).

they also seem to refuse to load boot blocks which makes it impossible to boot a linux system unless you keep a dos or (ack) hfs partition laying around.

if anyone has managed to get quik to work (completely) on blue G3s please let me know.

I have done quite a bit of experimenting with booting these machines, I have not been able to read files from ISO filesystems but can read files from DOS filesystem IF you have a DOS style partition table like we use on intel machines, OF refuse to look at partitions that are not of type Apple_HFS or Apple_BootROM on a apple partitioned disk and refuses to use those if they are not real hfs or hfs+ filesystems (yuk!)

in short BrokenFirmware just sucks :-(

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/