Re: RS/6000 SCSI Boot Problem #1

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Alberto Varesio wrote:

> Hallo,
> problem #1
>
> I'm trying to install Linux on a 43P 100.
> At the moment it is running LinuxPPC R4 with kernel 2.1.125 .
>
> Now I'm trying to install something newer, I looked at LinuxPPC R5/1999, YDL
> CS1.1 and Debian, but I can't get a working kernel. All 2.2.x I have found do
> not handle SCSI adapter (ncr53c810-0 ?) well.
>
> Symptoms
> 2.1.125 runs scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - revision 3.01    - Good
> 2.2.x   run  scsi0 : ncr53c8xx - version 3.2      - Bad
> Boot message difference is just a little line that tells:
> ncr53c8xx: reallocating io_port (Wacky IBM)
> just before detection of the submodel (?)

Can you send me an output of lspci on your machine with a running kernel ?

Alternatively you might try one of the kernels at

	ftp://vlab1.iram.es/pub/linux-2.2/zImage*

I dno't guarantee anything, but the PCI space is cleanly reallocated in
the boot loader to work around braindead allocation methods in some
firmware (Motorola in my case).

The source patches are also on the same site, and all the kernels include
serial console support AFAIR.

	Gabriel.