Re: PAM advantages?

On 16/9/99 Michel Dänzer wrote:

What's so good about PAM at all?

PAM gives the administrator extreme flexibility in how users are authenticated to the system, he can decide how much or how little is done, as well as replace certain authentication methods with something completely different all without any modification of the authentication programs (login, ftp, su et al)

for example I decided I wanted to have the BSD style wheel group enforced on su, I only had to add one line to /etc/pam.d/su and immediately su would refuse root service to anyone no in the wheel group.

there are plenty of much more interesting examples such as adding smartcard readers or some other device and integrating it with PAM by simply adding a single module and a modifying the configuration file for whatever services you want it used.

Best Regards,
Ethan Benson
To obtain my PGP key: http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/pgp/