Re: RS/6000

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 07:17:46PM -0300, Douglas S. Vieira wrote:
> David Welton writes:
>  > On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 06:38:01PM -0300, Douglas S. Vieira wrote:
>  >
>  > > The problem is that the machine doesn't seem to recognize the zImage
>  > > floppy as a valid boot disk. Multiple floppies have been tried, so
>  > > it's most likely not the disks themselves.
>  >
>  > There is something tricky that isn't readily obvious: you need to put
>  > the image on a DOS floppy, or at least that's how I got the F50 I'm
>  > working on up.  Put it on the floppy as a file called ZIMAGE or
>  > something, then from the OF, do: boot floppy:,\ZIMAGE
>
> I followed instructions using dd command to create boot image from
> ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/users/gdt/zImage-2.2.10 and ramdisk image from
> ftp://ftp.linuxppc.org/users/gdt/ramdisk_image.gz.

Try doing what I said.  Don't use dd, but create a *DOS* floppy disk
and *cp* the files there.  I have no idea if this is right for your
machine but like I said, it did work for me!

> When I put disk boot image and turn on IBM RS/6000 I force floppy boot
> using F5 key, but nothing happened.

You need to get into Open Firmware.  Read your manual for how to do
that.

Ciao,
--
David N. Welton            (    Circa mea pectora
davidw@prosa.it            )    multa sunt suspiria