Re: Minor Problem Potpourri

T.E.Dickey (thru Deja) writes:
 >   your arrow keys are in normal mode, where the termcap says they're in
 >   application mode (a problem that happens when someone has removed the
 >   ti/te settings)

Hmm.  On this basis, as a hack, I tried adding these codes (actually
smcap and rmcap for terminfo) from the xterm entry to the linux
terminfo definition from the xterm terminfo description (actually, I
tried both the smcap/rmcap pairs from IRIX and from Debian, as they
differed), to add to the linux term defs.  Didn't work, of course.
8-) The entries probably aren't recognized or correct.  But then I
note that none of the vt1xx/2xx/3xx entries have the smcap/rmcap
either.

Next gross ugly hack: change the terminfo arrow key defs for linux to
\EOA thru \EOD.  Works like a charm.

But none of this answers the question: why/how did my arrow keys
change modes in the first place?  why/how is this not accounted for in
the 'linux' terminfo entry?  Are the ti/te settings actually broken,
or is something else amiss?

Yet all of that is moot compared to: "How do I fix it--the right way?"

-- John