Re: Xfree 3.3.3.1

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 03:56:33PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > where should i put them (together with their source) in experimental ? in
> > potato ? someplace else ?
>
> Experimental or a webpage I'ld say. At the very least I'ld talk to
> Branden about it. Someone did a X NMU a while ago without telling him

sure, i wrote to hime, no response yet, but he has time for
debian-devel flamewars ...

> and he was very much annoyed that he was getting bugreports for an X
> version that he didn't make.

sure, but there is my name and email in the changelog file, this should
appear in the maintainer field, isn't it ?

> > also what will happen to the old X source if i upload the new one that
> > i made ?
>
> They will be removed.

actually i checked, my packages are in potato, branden's one in slink,
there should be no problem, that's what unstable is for, and we should
not use experimental for this kind of things, at least that's what
written in the developper doc, or even the policy, don't remember well.

> > also i made a package with a dotted debian version, as it is said somewhere is
> > hould do, so Branden can take my diff's check them, make all the changes he
> > see's necessary, and then upload a true package. I think that by making this
> > package.
>
> That's good.

so i thought, ...

but we need 3.3.3.1 for powerpc, and it is against the DFSG to make a
source less upload of such stuff.

also i don't think using the X packages of the japanese debian folk is
not the solution, we need true 3.3.3 and up packages in main debian, if
branden has no time for that, ok, he says it, and people like me will
jump in, and make the packaging, under his direction would be best. X
is to huge a package to handle alone. ANd this will not help him in his
current flamewar about the X reorg.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER