Re: X startup hang

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:

> yep, 2.0.100-2, kernel 2.2.0pre8... but I seem to remember having the same
> problem with other kernels when I tested Geert's experimental framebuffer
> servers, but I thought at the time that it was due to the patchy X
> distribution I used. Does anyone have any idea as to what I should look
> for a cause/cure/fix?

(funny thing replying to myself :)
Well, after not-so-elaborate searching, I found out that it might not be
xserver's fault after all. After changing window manager from
enlightenment to icewm (0.9.13 from ftp.debian.org, will try 0.9.29 from
source), fvwm2 and mwm, they all worked fine (although icewm showed some
artifacts). The twm included and afterstep (1.4.5.3-1) however failed at
the very start.
Also, I found out, that the /usr/X11R6/bin/X file (is this the Xwrapper?)
failed to start the Xserver, so I moved it to X.old, and linked XF68_FBDev
to X, but that needed me to chmod +s XF68_FBDev so that I could start X as
non-root. That seems to work for the most time, but surely this is a
security hole, and I would like some info about making the Xwrapper (if
that's what it is really) to work.

Konstantinos Margaritis
kmargar@cc.uoa.gr