Re: Xfree 3.3.3.1

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 01:44:13AM +0200, Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:
>
> > Hello, ...
> >
> > i have done some unofficial xfree 3.3.3.1 debian packages for powerpc.
>
> GREAT!

i have a second version of them, i would gladly upload them, but i
am not sure if i can, they are signed with a key that is not yet
in the debian keyring, and also i am not sure if 3.3.3.1 is
officially released yet.

anyway, in the mean time, you can find them at :

ftp://sunsite.auc.dk/local/os/linux/apus/DEB-APUS

they are my first try, (3.3.3.1-0.1), don't know if i can put the
second try there also, what about your web space ? how can i put
them there ? Or maybee i will try to install a ftp server on this
box, or find some place somewhere ...

> > all is not yet perfect, and i have to work more on them so that they become acceptable for debian, but in the
> > meantime, if someone is interrested, i can upload them somewhere, just don't know where i can put them, is
> > there some experimental place where they can go ? they are signed with my @debian.org id, but this one is not
> > yet in the debian keyring.
> >
> > i did this, because after my partition crash most stuff got installed cleanly, but X refused to work, and iu
> > was not able to build X 3.3.2.3a-8.1 from the source packages, so i just applied the diffs to my 3.3.3.1 tree,
> > and corrected most patches. THere is one file i am not very sure of, it is
> > programs/Xserev/.../XConfig/xf86config.c ort so. will have to check it with more time.
>
> I really have to thank you about this as my X setup is far from feeling
> whole or stable, and till now I waited for an official X debian release.
> Even an unofficial will do, if it works.
> Not to offend anyone -again... I think I have that tendency after all- but
> you created them so quickly, while there have been 2 months since 3.3.3
> has been released and no official debian packaged has even appeared in the
> experimental area. I really am curious.

you have to know that X is a quite big packages, source are 43MB,
and that with gzip -9, and it takes hours to compile on my
603e/240MHz, (more than 6hours, ...) and about 250MB disk space.

i don't know what happened to the previous maintainer, ... guess
he is lost in real life, or something like that, most previous
packages where NMU, ...

> > ok then tell me where i can put them, so people can try them, and i can fine tune some more stuff.
>
> How much disk space is required? I can afford about 30MBs on my space at
> the university temporary , but there is the issue of transfering them of
> course.

See above ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER