Re: popcon.d.o: new vendor graph

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 08:30:42AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-05-26 at 01:35 +0200, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> > I have made an addition to popcon.d.o:
> > A new section and a new graph for the vendor field.
>
> Excellent, thanks! It contains some derivatives I hadn't heard of yet.
>
> > This is preliminary, this need to be cleaned up a bit.
>
> A few things I noticed:
>
> The key for the first graph is cut off at the bottom due to the amount
> of entries in the label. Not sure this is fixable, but to workaround
> that (and to improve accessibility), it might be nice to have a title
> attribute containing the full list of items from the key for each graph.

This is dangerous... There is no standard to validate the value of the
Vendor field against. For the time being the list is available at:
https://popcon.debian.org/stat/vendor.txt

> There is a mojibake variant of AcorOS in the key for the second graph
> label at the bottom. I guess in the first one it exists but is cut off.
> Not sure if this is a problem in the data or in the graph rendering.

This is fixed for now by converting to ISO-8859-1 before using
libchart-perl. A better fix would be nice.
Apparently AçorOS is the correct portuguese name for the distribution.

> Both the architectures and vendors all-time graphs have items in the
> key that are no longer being reported. For each section it would be
> nice to have a list of historical architectures and vendors that are
> no longer being reported but were at one time.

See
https://popcon.debian.org/stat/submission.txt
https://popcon.debian.org/stat/vendor.txt

Maybe I should put a link somewhere.