[Popcon-developers] Raw popcon data repo schema and access questions

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Bill Allombert <ballombe at debian.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 10:06:07AM -0400, Pavan Gupta wrote:
> > On my first question, I was essentially looking for a database schema.
> My
> > goal was to discern whether you were collecting any kind of metadata
> about
> > the final data you are aggregating and presenting.  Generally, answering
> > that question openly may still be of value for people interested in
> > understanding how the data they deliver to popcon is being collected and
> > processed.
>
> We do not use a database. Instead we store reports (meaning the output of
> /usr/sbin/popularity-contest) as they are received, keeping exactly one
> by HOSTID (see /etc/popularity-contest.conf).
> The amount of data stored is about 10GB. We update 1/7th of that everyday.

The HOSTID being effectively tagged to the data is fantastic.  You can
certainly do some basic clustering with that, but with the data rolling
over every week, you do lose a little bit of the power to see how packages
might forecast other packages especially if that historical raw data is
lost forever.

> > And no problem, I shall look to solve this problem elsewhere.  Keep up
> the
> > great work!
>
> Well, there might be people on this list with more experience than me in
> datamining popcon.

And it looks like this may already have found an implementation through the
Ubuntu's software-center recommendation service.  They call out in some of
their arch documents an overlap with popcon - - why they would reinvent the
wheel is weird to me -- but it looks like they might be collecting data
differently and more deeply to achieve a similar popcon objective with
recommendations on top.  Reading their stuff, I couldn't help but think
writing up a fresh strategy for recommendations is wasteful.  Has this team
coordinated at all with them?

> Cheers,
> --
> Bill. <ballombe at debian.org>